[OpenSCAD] Monitor Mount

Alex Gibson alex at alexgibson.net
Sat Nov 23 18:32:26 EST 2019

I plowed on in the same vein as the previous example, but using TWO
minkowski spheres, one to inflate, and the next to cut.

After 5 HOURS of rendering, I got the intended result:

Here's the slightly tweaked code:

fillet_radius = 10;

mount_width = 15;

module original_shape()

     {

     union()

           {

           //plate

           translate([0,0,-5])

                cube([200,100,10],center=true);

           //mount

           hull()

                {

                translate([0,75/2-mount_width/2,25])

                     cylinder(50,mount_width/2,mount_width/2,center=true);

                translate([0,-75/2+mount_width/2,25])

                     cylinder(50,mount_width/2,mount_width/2,center=true);

                }

           }

     }

module shape_inflated()

     {

     minkowski()

           {

           original_shape();

           sphere(fillet_radius);

           }

     }

difference()

     {

     shape_inflated();

     minkowski()

           {

           difference()

                {

                cube([500,500,500],center=true);

                shape_inflated();

                }

           sphere(fillet_radius);

           }

     }

Doing a minkowski with sphere operation on an already completed minkowski
sphere is super intensive to code, so i will be keen to try any other ways
to achieve the same result.!

Also, I showed the good side above;  here is the other side, with either a
render defect or a hole in the mesh.!

Alex Gibson

admg consulting

edumaker limited