[OpenSCAD] Monitor Mount

arnholm at arnholm.org arnholm at arnholm.org
Sat Nov 23 04:56:48 EST 2019

On 2019-11-22 16:25, Alex Gibson wrote:
> Nice!  I must check out AngelCAD.
>
> So this works well for square-edged items.  I wanted to check how well
> my example would work for  rounded shapes.  Not so well.
>
> In this case the 'mount' is supposed to have rounded ends being the
> union of two cylinders.  But the cubes I used to inflate the original
> piece overpowered the original shape's radii:

I have not tried that, but this technique is equivalent to "machine
away" a layer of material of thickness equal to fillet radius from all
sides, so if the shape is rounded in the first place, that rounding will
be reduced or disappear.

Perhaps the general solution is to first inflate the original rounded
shape using minkowski, using a sphere with the fillet radius. Then apply
the same technique as demonstrated for the square-edge items on the
result.

This could be considered a 3d equivalent to positive followed by
negative offsets in 2d.

Carsten Arnholm