nop head nop.head at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 10:34:30 EST 2019

Probably not but OpenSCAD uses CGAL and CGAL seems to reject self
intersecting manifolds. If you generate a figure of 8 with an S unioned
with a mirrored S then the result will be fine. The actual operation it
does where they cross is exactly what the same as if it was fixing a full
figure of 8.  The only difference is the operands of union are both
non-self intersecting.