Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Thu Nov 14 11:21:35 EST 2019

Following up on Carsten's comment, the self-intersection repair algorithm that I conceived of, which works by splitting faces, isn't suitable for STL/polygon soup meshes, because the resulting mesh may not be manifold. The results aren't manifold for the figure-8 extrusion, they are manifold for the swept epicycle.

My algorithm does work for CGAL and 3MF, in the technical sense of creating a valid 2-manifold mesh. However, the resulting mesh might not be printable because my algorithm can potentially produce separate regions of the model that join at knife edges, which might be very weak or even fall apart during printing.

I found an alternative self-intersection repair algorithm online. This one focuses a particular class of local self-intersections, where the model contains a thin surface, and some triangles on one side of the surface project through to the other side, creating self intersection. This is quite different from the swept epicycle model we discussed earlier. This algorithm uses "edge hammering" and "face lifting" to fix the problem and give the surface more thickness, which changes the shape of the model, and potentially makes it more 3D printable. https://imr.sandia.gov/papers/imr18/Yamakawa.pdf