Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Thu Nov 14 10:30:21 EST 2019

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019, at 9:54 AM, nop head wrote:
> If somebody can describe unambiguously what gets printed when you send a self intersecting mesh to a 3D printer then that would be a basis for fixing it because anything that comes out of a 3D printer must be manifold and free from self intersections.

The 3MF standard describes unambiguously what gets printed when you send a self intersecting mesh to a 3D printer.

It is called "the positive fill rule". https://github.com/3MFConsortium/spec_core/blob/master/3MF%20Core%20Specification.md#411-fill-rule

Lots of slicers now support the 3MF standard. The ones I use (Cura, Prusa Slicer) support 3MF.