nop head nop.head at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 15:05:37 EST 2019

There is no guesswork needed to read an STL if the geometry it contains is
manifold. 3MF and AMF presumably can represent non-manifold geometry
unambiguously but I don't see that as an advantage for 3D printing. They
have other advantages, like being able to handle multiple materials.
Nothing compelling enough for me to scrap my 3D tool chain because
multiple STL files can be used to represent multiple materials. I still
slice everything with Skeinforge!

If STL files had a rule to say the geometry they contained has to be
manifold and writers and readers enforced it there would not be a problem.

OpenSCAD doesn't reject bad STLs. It just feeds the soup to CGAL and CGAL
barfs if it is not manifold and produces and incomprehensible exception.
OpenSCAD might as well catch all CGAL exceptions and say the geometry has
become non-manifold. It would be a more meaningful error message.