Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Wed Nov 13 08:57:45 EST 2019

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019, at 12:24 AM, Adam Purdie wrote:
> 2. make it so exports can retain colours (or colors if you wish) - may not be feasible for the current export formats

To do full colour 3D printing, I export my model to either X3D or WRL format (depending on the 3D printing service provider).

Both of these file formats support a mode where you record the colour of each triangle or face (face colouring). This might be the simplest representation for retaining colours in an exported OpenSCAD model, at least without changing the language and switching to a different colour model. You can open one of these coloured models in MeshLab and the colours are displayed. As mentioned, you can 3D print these models in colour with certain types of full colour printers.

In order to implement this in OpenSCAD, you would need to preserve face colours across boolean operations (union, intersection, difference). I think that is possible with CGAL (since all of the algorithms are templated, and generic across data structures). However, it also involves an important change to data structures used throughout OpenSCAD. So it is not a trivial change.

Whether this is even a good idea depends on how you are using colour. Assigning colours to faces is not a good model of dual extruder 3D printing with 2 different types of filament. For the latter, you want to construct a separate mesh for each material/colour and export the mesh set to a 3MF file. So a good question is, what is your application for this?