nop head nop.head at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 03:34:49 EST 2019

Yes OpenSCAD uses a Polygon soup as one of its internal representations, so
it can't handle non-manifold shapes just the same as STL. I don't wee why
that is a problem. What practical use are non-manifold shapes?

If you send two cubes with a shared edge to a slicer what do you expect it
to produce? Since it can't generate gcode for an object with a shared edge
it probably will either make two separate cubes, each with the own outline
or perhaps two joined cubes with a single outline. Why send a design that
can never be printed ever with any technology ever, even in the distance
future because it doesn't make sense at a physical level. Why not be forced
to send a model that explicitly indicates whether it should be two shapes
or one? Then there are no surprises.

I once helped out at a MiniMakerfair printing some giveaway objects. I was
given an STL file and just sliced for my machine and filament and started
printing. I thought the design was very weak but I had printed dozens
before I realised it contained self intersections and when sliced with a
different sliced it made a totally different object.. Whatever CAD tools
was used didn't automatically union objects and allowed a non-manifold
design to be sent to an STL file.