MichaelAtOz oz.at.michael at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 20:02:27 EST 2019

JordanBrown wrote
> On 11/12/2019 3:15 PM, nop head wrote:
>> It would mean I could accidentally design non-printable object instead
>> of being told it was non-manifold.
>
> Why should OpenSCAD concern itself with printability?  If it does,
> shouldn't it also reject ludicrously large objects or ludicrously small
> ones?  Shouldn't it insist that all values be multiples of the print
> resolution?
>
> Maybe it's algorithmically impossible to disambiguate triangle-soup
> representations that have shared edges.  (I don't know one way or
> another.)  If so, that should prevent exports of such objects to
> triangle-soup file formats, but shouldn't prevent it for file formats
> where there's no problem.
>
> If your slicer can't handle such an object... then that's on the slicer.
>
>> OpenSCAD can't represents objects with more than 3 dimensions, with
>> dimensions of zero or infinity or imaginary numbers. All of these are
>> mathematically possible by why spend time extending OpenSCAD to
>> generate them when they are not physically possible?
>
> See, what we're disagreeing on is whether the objects being discussed
> are physically impossible, *within the approximations implicit in 3D
> printing, and in the real world at the microscopic and atomic levels*.
>
> I contend that for all practical purposes they are possible, and that
> they are certainly no more impossible than objects separated by epsilon
> or overlapping by epsilon.
>
> I don't remember:  were you one of the people who was arguing that
> malformed polyhedra (disconnected faces, et cetera) should be allowed?

I managed to move these few posts, unfortunately Nabble moves replies too,
so it is impractical to move other on-topic posts from earlier in the
original thread
<http://forum.openscad.org/User-Poll-What-do-you-want-to-see-from-OpenSCAD-development-td27802i40.html>
.

However I counsel that parties may not agree, sometimes further resistance
is futile...