nop head nop.head at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 02:19:41 EST 2019

Adam,
   OpenSCAD looks at the OPENSCADPATH environment variable for places to
find libraries.

Jordon,

Since all real objects are 2-manifold I don't see why OpenSCAD needs to be
able to handle non-manifold designs. What advantage is it?

If you want to print two cubes next to each then leave a small gap. They
will then get two separate perimeters. If you want to print two cubes that
are joined overlap them by your printers minimum wall width. Your model
then represents what  you want your printer to print. If you export two
cubes sharing an edge who knows what the printer will do? It is much better
to give an error as soon as possible to avoid creating a model that can't
be printed. Yes the printer may print something but it won't match the
physically impossible model.

In answer to the original question. I don't find OpenSCAD limiting for
creating my designs at the moment. What I would like to see is module
literals to match function literals and a dict / record type. That would
tidy up my code.

A faster geometry engine like Carve looks like it would transform OpenSCAD
as a faster union would allow 3D Minkowski to be fast and that would allow
3D rounding to be practical.