Steven Dick kg4ydw at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 23:50:00 EST 2019

Openscad is not a mesh editor.  You might be able to do simple things like
fixing round off errors  during import (which is an eternal problem with
STLs since every vertex is listed separately for every instance of every
edge) ,  but fixing problems like holes and intersecting polygons is the
job of a mesh editor like blender or meshlab.  Use the right tool for the
right job.

Zero size polygons are similar to round off errors.  Some holes and cracks
are not real and are caused by the importer not recognizing two instances
of the same edge due to round off errors, and I can see the importer fixing
these, but a real hole  or intersecting faces from a malformed mesh is much
harder to fix.