[OpenSCAD] ClikScad - create OpenSCAD models without all the typing

Matthias Urlichs matthias at urlichs.de
Sat Nov 2 07:47:42 EDT 2019

On 25.10.19 10:45, nop head wrote:
> Not sure how a graphical representation is any simpler than text. It
> is exactly the same logical construction expressed in a different
> format. Do people really struggle much with syntax? The hard part is
> how to decompose and object into CSG operations and the trigonometry.
Not to mention that sin(2*x) is a lot faster to type than clicking and
dragging two ops and a variable.

> Using text is a major benefit of OpenSCAD because it can be pasted
> into emails and checked into source control. It is also fairly
> concise. I imagine the graphical representation of my typical designs
> would be an enormous tree.

Well, I tend to indent my code pretty religiously, so the number of
lines in my design would correspond 1:1 with the number of blocks in any
GUI editor, excluding equations.

In fact I would actually use a GUI-ish editor when I need to re-factor a
design – for me it's easier to re-arrange blocks with it than with a
text editor. Just not for equations please.

--
-- Matthias Urlichs