[OpenSCAD] "Melting" models

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Sun May 26 20:51:50 EDT 2019

The operation that is being discussed here is often called "bend", and it bends a shape around a cylinder. It's a useful general purpose CAD operation, and it's strange that more CAD programs don't include it. A simple example is adding a bend to a pipe. I often use it for bending long skinny objects into rings.

Another "plastic deformation" that I get a lot of use out of is "twist".

Here's an old SIGGRAPH paper that makes the case for including "bend" and "twist" in CAD programs:

https://www.cs.drexel.edu/~david/Classes/CS586/Papers/p21-barr.pdf