[OpenSCAD] "Melting" models

Carsten Arnholm arnholm at arnholm.org
Fri May 24 12:51:53 EDT 2019

On 24.05.2019 13:28, leebc wrote:
> I came across this model of a "melted" or "wilting" gear...  (Think Dali's
> clocks.)
>       https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2872162
> <http://forum.openscad.org/file/t1632/a22b1cd568ea8d3a6547ed46a6a10119_preview_featured.jpg>
>
> Can anyone think of a good way to recreate this in OpenSCAD?
>
> Let's assume you are completely modeling in OpenSCAD so could re-write the
> code for the gear generation.
>
> Objective is to curve a flat object around a "pipe" of a certain diameter.

There is no way in OpenSCAD to take an exiting flat object and "melt" it
into something like your example. This is because you cannot access and
transform individual coordinates in an OpenSCAD object.

In AngelCAD you can do it for an imported object as shown here
https://gist.github.com/arnholm/af72c7d0790bb3d72e6bdf29c7aac1ed

There is one requirement in addition to being able to change coordinates
of existing objects, and that is that the discretization of the object
mesh is fine enough to allow the melting/morphing. The link above shows
the difference (use the wirefame options).

Carsten Arnholm