[OpenSCAD] The OpenSCAD Language

arnholm at arnholm.org arnholm at arnholm.org
Mon May 6 09:54:57 EDT 2019

On 2019-05-06 15:17, Alex Gibson wrote:
> Is there a way to translate OpenSCAD code to AngelCAD?
> And is AngelCAD able to export STEP files?

Hi Alex,

No effort has been made to translate OpenSCAD code to AngelCAD so the
answer is no. The opposite is possible, AngelCAD can generate an
OpenSCAD .csg file.

AngelCAD is mesh based as it uses xcsg ( https://github.com/arnholm/xcsg
) which again is based on Carve. This is similar to OpenSCAD that is
also mesh based using CGAL.  When you ask about STEP, I guess you are
talking about boundary representation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boundary_representation, a rather
different description of 3d geometry compared to mesh based Constructive
Solid Geometry (CSG). So just like OpenSCAD, AngelCAD/xcsg cannot export
B-REP STEP files. The export formats include (via xcsg)

   --amf                 AMF output format (Additive Manufacturing
Format)
   --csg                 CSG output format (OpenSCAD)
   --dxf                 DXF output format (AutoCAD DXF - 2D only)
   --svg                 SVG output format (Scalar Vector Graphics - 2D
only)
   --stl                 STL output format (STereoLitography)
   --astl                STL output format (STereoLitography) - ASCII
   --obj                 OBJ output format (Wavefront format)
   --off                 OFF output format (Geomview Object File Format)

AngelCAD can import AMF, OBJ and OFF

Regards
Carsten Arnholm