[OpenSCAD] Rounded Polygon

adrianv avm4 at cornell.edu
Fri May 3 13:07:28 EDT 2019

You just want to round the junctions?  I think you can do that for an
arbitrary 2d shape using offset(), with something like this (which was
previously mentioned many posts ago on this thread):

module round2d(or, ir)
{
    offset(or) offset(-ir-or) offset(delta=ir) children();
}

As long as your walls aren't too thin relative to the curvature you want
(which looks small in your examples) I think that the above will actually do
the job of rounding any box you want to make.

round2d(or=.4, ir=1){
  difference(){
    square([20,20],center=true);
    square([18,18],center=true);
  }
  translate([10,0,0])
    difference(){
       circle(d=20);
       circle(d=18);
     }
}

If you set or>-0.5 then you get in trouble because the walls vanish.  But if
you round the outside shape first (before cutting out the middle) you can
resolve this problem.

<http://forum.openscad.org/file/t2477/roundedthing.png>

I'm not sure what you mean about the "algorithm for subdividing" part of
your project, though.