[OpenSCAD] Rounded Polygon

adrianv avm4 at cornell.edu
Fri May 3 05:58:32 EDT 2019

I noticed that (at least) two people felt like the coding problem I noted was
sufficiently interesting that they tried to implement it.  There is no other
language I know where this would even be an interesting problem---it would
just be trivial.  The fact that more than one person thought my coding
problem was a sufficient challenge that it was worth doing I think
demonstrates the issue with the language.

But that's not why I'm posting.  I'm posting because I finally completed my
rounded_extrude module which made this possible:

box = [[0,0], [0,50], [255,50], [255,0]];
rbox = roundcorners(box, curve="smooth", type="cut", all=4);

difference(){
  rounded_extrude(rbox, height=50, r1=2, r2=1, steps = 22, edge1="teardrop",
self_intersection=false);
  translate([0,0,2])
    rounded_extrude(pathoffset(rbox, r=-2, closed=true), height=48, r1=4,
r2=-1,steps=22,extra2=1,self_intersection=false);
}

So I have a rounded box with a teardrop edge at the base, a rounded top
edge, and a more rounded interior bottom edge.

<http://forum.openscad.org/file/t2477/fbox1.png>