[OpenSCAD] Making a whole of small parts

MichaelAtOz oz.at.michael at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 01:48:41 EDT 2019

gounthar wrote
> My first problem/question was: what is the correct way to code that
> symmetry? Should I use mirror, or translate?

Mirror may seem convenient to position items which have symmetry.
But will the item always be symmetrical?
If you later wish to adapt your code such that it loses symmetry it will be
complicated.

Just because two rectangles are equally spaced from a centre line doesn't
make them mirrors.
For example if you wanted to add a text imprint, the opposite side would be
inverted.

I rarely use mirror, and reserve it for where actual inversion is needed, ie
when you want the left side to become the right side (or top/bottom).
<http://forum.openscad.org/file/t359/Mirror-x.png>