[OpenSCAD] Making a whole of small parts

adrianv avm4 at cornell.edu
Sat Jul 27 18:08:49 EDT 2019

The referenced message suggests creating parts with standardized locations.
This is not unreasonable, but I think it is inflexible and messy, in the
end.  (If you want to place the part on something, how do you do it?  You
have to know the part dimensions.)  In BOSL2 the author has been working on
giving parts a set of "anchors", and I think this is a great idea.  You can
have standard anchors such as the left side and right side or top and bottom
of a part, but you can also add special anchors for screw holes or other
special locations on each part.  Then you can have your modules place the
specified anchor point at the origin.  This is much better than having to
move parts around based on knowing that they start with their centers at the
origin or something like that.  I find it always seems a remarkable struggle
to get a part that appears in the first quadrant, for example, rotated and
positioned correctly.

I think also the Relativity library does something similar, and the obiscad
attachment library was also an inspiration for this approach.

With regards to creating a part, you should use whichever is easier of
mirror or translate, or makes the construction easier to understand.  Once
the geometry has been created, it won't make a difference which commands you
used to create it.  I did run into a gotcha with mirror---my part had
chirality (screw threads) and mirror changed its handedness.

gounthar wrote