[OpenSCAD] Making a whole of small parts

gounthar gounthar at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 17:23:20 EDT 2019

Sorry for not being clear at all.
Discuss
<http://forum.openscad.org/Making-a-whole-of-small-parts-tp27057p27058.html>
got it right despite my bad explanations.

I have several problems. For "big"  boxes
<https://github.com/gounthar/MerryKombo/blob/CAD/big.png>  , I have small
sections <https://github.com/gounthar/MerryKombo/blob/CAD/usb2uart.png>
(which are not parts but a part of the box) which have lots of symmetry.
My first problem/question was: what is the correct way to code that
symmetry? Should I use mirror, or translate?
I guess I should use mirror, and that leads to the second question: does it
change anything to use mirror or translate, knowing that this section will
be inserted in the final part, and maybe in other parts later on? It should
be "agnostic", like a component in classic development, but easily inserted
wherever its final position in the part may be.
Another example would be the  camera hole
<https://github.com/gounthar/MerryKombo/blob/CAD/camera_view.png>   for the
same  part
<https://github.com/gounthar/MerryKombo/blob/CAD/big%20with%20camera%20view.png>

The problem I have with onShape regarding this sections is that I don't know
how to cut them in order to only print them to see if they fit, and not the
whole big part with them included. I guess I could do that with parts
studios and parts assembly, but I already have way too many tabs for that
project. That's why I was pretty happy to find OpenSCAD with modules so that
I can refine those small sections before integrating them into the big part.
Yes, I'm measuring more than twice before printing, but there are still some
errors or improvements after the first print (especially with OpenSCAD, as
I'm used to rely on the tool just by using constraints to get things right,
in comparison with OpenSCAD where I have to work out the right numbers by
myself).

I hope I did not muddy the water more than in my previous message...

Thanks.