[OpenSCAD] Making a whole of small parts

Matt Maggio mattmaggio19 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 18:12:12 EDT 2019

Put your part into a module, run a for loop and have a translate statement
to space them out.

But reading your problem again is confusing, do you want to print just the
changed part? how would you then integrate it with the whole, like
physically? I guess you could hack up a print and glue another piece on,
but the whole point of printing is that it makes the object without you
fiddling around with a file a or chainsaw or whatever.

In woodworking it's measure twice, cut once. In 3D printing it's more like
spend 100 x more time on CAD than you ever do interacting with the printer.

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 4:21 PM adrianv <avm4 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> I don't understand your goal.  Do you want to print 20 copies of the same
> part?  Or 20 copies of the same part but with variations in part
> parameters?
> And your question is how to arrange them on a line?
>
> This code will put 20 identical parts on the X axis.  The BOSL library is
> here:  https://github.com/revarbat/BOSL
>
> include <BOSL/constants.scad>
> use <BOSL/transforms.scad>
>
> xspread(spacing=5, n=20) part();
>
> You can do something like
>
> xspread(spacing=5, n=20) part(partpos=$pos);
>
> which will modify the part depending on its position to create 20 different
> parts.
>
> Is this the kind of thing you're looking for?  If not, please clarify.
> Maybe give a specific example of what you're doing.
>

> gounthar wrote
> > Hi,
> >
> > as I'm coming from onShape, I'm kind of lost sometimes.
> > I design boxes for hosting hardware. Most of the time, some small parts
> > don't fit that well (because I made errors when taking measurements, or
> > the
> > printer is not that accurate), so I modify the small part of the big box,
> > and print once more everything.
> > If I ever want to add or modify something, I have to do the same again.
> > Print the whole box, and not the small part of the box.
> > Time, resource, and energy consuming.
> >
> > I thought I had found the perfect tool with OpenSCAD, because I can
> define
> > my small parts in different files, use functions and modules, so that my
> > small parts can be printed more quickly, and modified if needed.
> > I'm getting used to it, but I'm not sure I am following the right path,
> > embracing the right phylosophy.
> > For example, I'm still struggling with translate in order to replicate
> > lots
> > of small parts which are symmetrical to a construction line... I should
> > maybe get with mirror().
> > But let's say it's ok, mostly ok.
> >
> > How am I supposed to integrate those small parts in the bigger part?
> > Just with translate() followed by the call to my module (with some
> > parameters maybe)?
> > Is there any other way that would be easier, or more OpenSCAD-like?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Bruno
> >

> > --
> > Sent from: http://forum.openscad.org/

> Sent from: http://forum.openscad.org/

Matt Maggio
Senior Research Technologist
Resuscitation Institute (Rm. 1.380)
Department of Medicine
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
3333, Green Bay Rd, North Chicago, IL - 60064.
Office: 224-570-7954
Cell: 815-703-2879
"Take chances, make mistakes, and get messy!!" - Mrs. Frizzle, pHd