[OpenSCAD] Making a whole of small parts

fred fred_dot_u at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 26 17:19:47 EDT 2019

 What you're describing is not just restricted to OpenSCAD, although it's a great reference point.
Consider to adopt a consistent practice when creating modules. The focus for a module should be a location in the module with which you will always be familiar. Add the notation in comments in the file if necessary, but at the very least, attempt to be consistent with the location.
If, for example, you always center the primitives when constructing a module, then translate within the module to create the aggregate object, you may find it useful to use a center reference for calling the module.
It's not always practical to use a center reference, but even without that reference point, you can manage your modules. The cube primitive will always be at ([0, 0, 0]) and you can use that to direct your module use, if needed.
There are complications with either reference point, but if your focus is on that reference point, you can adjust as you build.
Just my two cents.