[OpenSCAD] leaving more "air" in threads?

Bruno Boettcher bboett at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 09:50:04 EDT 2019

hello!

well first of all, a very big thank you all for all the help and patience
you showed !
you can admire (heu hrrrmmm) the actual (working) state of the thing on
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3769527!

and the threads work like a charm! would't change them for some metal nuts,
the fact that i made them quite big, makes for a really fast open and close
system, and they are still steep enough to not budge when under the tremors
of my printer....

on to the next project!

ciao
Bruno

Am Mi., 24. Juli 2019 um 14:18 Uhr schrieb nop head <nop.head at gmail.com>:

> I think I made the first printed thread in the Reprap world:
> http://hydraraptor.blogspot.com/2008/09/screw-top-pot.html.
>
> I don't use them in place of metal fasteners but they are useful for
> containers and interfacing with pop bottles, etc. Tapping printed holes
> also works well.
>
> On Wed, 24 Jul 2019 at 11:25, Steven Dick <kg4ydw at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 10 years ago I would have agreed with you -- don't bother printing
>> threads, just use metal inserts or self-thread with a metal screw.
>> Today with my Ender 3, I've seen enough threaded parts that worked
>> (much to my surprise) that I can't agree anymore.
>> If you make the threads big enough with the right tolerances (I agree
>> with previous poster, ~0.15mm is about right), threads work.
>>
>> If you look at industrial thread standards (for example, the M* thread
>> standards), you'll find they include precise tolerances between nuts
>> and bolts.
>>
>> I've printed many copies of thing:3494496 (threaded container and lid)
>> which has come out flawlessly every time with no post processing or
>> polishing.
>> 9 years ago with my Makerbot cupcake, I printed thing:1384 whose
>> threads barely worked, and after playing with it for a few weeks
>> (working it back and forth), it started to work better.
>> Hobbyist grade FDM has come a long way since then.
>>
>> (For reference, my cupcake's sliding part tolerance in XY was about
>> 0.25mm.  Z was a lot worse.  My ender's is around 0.1-0.15mm, Z is
>> probably better.)
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 3:31 PM Troberg <troberg.anders at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Kind of outside the OpenSCAD scope, but avoid printing threads. You
>> won't get
>> > a good result on any reasonably priced printer. Try to design your
>> > constructions so that you can use real metal screws or threaded rods
>> > instead, and you'll make your life so much simpler. There really is not
>> > reason to print a simply part when you can buy it cheaper, stronger and
>> > better in any hardware store.
>> >

>> > --
>> > Sent from: http://forum.openscad.org/

ciao