[OpenSCAD] leaving more "air" in threads?

Steven Dick kg4ydw at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 06:24:55 EDT 2019

10 years ago I would have agreed with you -- don't bother printing
threads, just use metal inserts or self-thread with a metal screw.
Today with my Ender 3, I've seen enough threaded parts that worked
(much to my surprise) that I can't agree anymore.
If you make the threads big enough with the right tolerances (I agree
with previous poster, ~0.15mm is about right), threads work.

If you look at industrial thread standards (for example, the M* thread
standards), you'll find they include precise tolerances between nuts
and bolts.

I've printed many copies of thing:3494496 (threaded container and lid)
which has come out flawlessly every time with no post processing or
polishing.
9 years ago with my Makerbot cupcake, I printed thing:1384 whose
threads barely worked, and after playing with it for a few weeks
(working it back and forth), it started to work better.
Hobbyist grade FDM has come a long way since then.

(For reference, my cupcake's sliding part tolerance in XY was about
0.25mm.  Z was a lot worse.  My ender's is around 0.1-0.15mm, Z is
probably better.)