[OpenSCAD] Joining parts

adrianv avm4 at cornell.edu
Sat Jul 20 00:26:24 EDT 2019

3M has a DP105 epoxy  (a two part formulation) which they describe as very
flexible, though I don't know that it's as flexible as E6000.  I don't think
of flexibility as a non-epoxy characteristic.  The E6000 cures at room
temperature from exposure to air.   It does not require energy input via
heat or UV light.

I can also say that the fumes from E6000 are much nastier than the fumes
from any epoxy I've ever used---I'd definitely use epoxy first given a
choice.

I did a search for "E6000 epoxy" and the results are all things like "is
E6000 better than epoxy" or "E6000 vs epoxy".  The easycrafts wiki that you
found was the only claim I encountered that E6000 is an epoxy.  I'm
skeptical that whoever wrote that did their own chemical analysis.  It's
also not clear that this is "better than one random person's opinion".  It
may in fact *be* one random person's post, perhaps a careless post from
someone who thinks all clear adhesives are epoxy.  The manufacturer does not
claim it's an epoxy.  And neither does anybody else.  It also doesn't behave
like any epoxy I've encountered.  So in the absence of chemical analysis, it
seems to me that the best guess is that the product is *not* an epoxy.

As a brief on-topic remark, I'll note also that I made a two-piece part that
snapped together with just a friction fit using a cylinder into a hole.  It
was pretty hard to get apart after putting it together, but I still used
glue (CA) to ensure a permanent joint.

DanS wrote