[OpenSCAD] Joining parts

adrianv avm4 at cornell.edu
Fri Jul 19 20:07:28 EDT 2019

I'm not quite sure what you mean.  The reference I posted the guy shows all
the numbers, and his testing was *much* better because he did multiple cases
for each test and computing statistics, and he uses a test setup that I
think is documented.  The final analysis is in the spreadsheet so I'm not
sure why you "have to do your own data analysis", but I think he also
describes performance in the video.  I also noticed that he's got another
hour long video with more info.

His approach to testing wood adhesion is laughably limited if you care about
that.

Lastly, your reference doesn't test any cyanoacrylate glues, so it doesn't
give us any clue about their performance.

Leea wrote
> He mentioned brands I never heard of.
> I prefer this guys testing. He actually shows the test and numbers. And
> I don't have to do my own data analysis.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4xX7VecgzA
>
> Lee
>
> On 7/19/2019 3:52 PM, adrianv wrote:
>> Actually a thick or gel cyanoacrylate glue may be the best glue even for
>> filling small gaps if you pick the right one.  Cheap superglues don't
>> perform particularly well, but take a look at the test results below.
>> This
>> glue test was done on wood, not PLA, but the CA glue 2P-10 was remarkably
>> strong even in gap filling.  Much stronger than gorilla glue---in fact,
>> it
>> was the strongest glue tested in gaps, outperforming even epoxy.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoaTZY5cSQE
>> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GAZrhrtJPi8-iqPRVfqgOgf7RTg8Vqmen6OKJ4Ae6_I/edit#gid=321279609
>>
>> A problem with gorilla glue is that it expands into gaps by foaming,
>> which
>> makes it weak.
>>

>> alexgibson wrote
>>> I agree the gel superglue is the best for surfaces with good contact.
>>>
>>> For joining parts by textured sides, I would recommend the original
>>> 'Gorilla
>>> glue'.  It expands slightly into the texture and makes a less brittle
>>> joint.
>>>
>>> Another option is I use a '3d printing pen' as a welding device.  For a
>>> really solid join, if you can get the internal access to the part, make
>>> grid of holes on the mating surface and 'plug weld' the two parts
>>> together
>>> at those points.
>>>
>>> You can add a couple of studs to the other side which line up with the
>>> holes
>>> for a fantastic alignment - or just a matching hole and put a bolt