[OpenSCAD] a matter of speed....

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Tue Jul 16 08:18:32 EDT 2019

If preview doesn't work for you because "it often results in objects I can't rotate smoothly", then a new GPU should help.

The GPU isn't used for rendering. What does speed up rendering is a large CPU cache and fast RAM. For example, see this old forum thread, where benchmarks are used to prove this: http://forum.openscad.org/OpenSCAD-performance-numbers-td4707.html

Multiple cores helps, but I think this is model dependent, since I don't think that multiple cores helps with the final top level union.

Lots of RAM is a good thing, it allows you to render larger models.

Doug Moen