[OpenSCAD] a matter of speed....

macdarren macdarren at mac.com
Mon Jul 15 19:05:52 EDT 2019

I have been using scad for some time now...and my computer is getting
older...

I do many models with threads and other features that just take a long time
to render.
I spend about 25% of my design time trying to either work out speed ups to
rendering or adding switches to enable high speed vs high detail render
options to my designs....

Preview is often not really an option...it still takes time and often
results in objects I can't smoothly rotate or that have what I might call
artifacts that make tight tolerances hard to see.  And since scad has no way
to actually query objects so I could perhaps use software inspection I have
to rely on human visual verification.
I am okay with that but the rub is it takes too long to fix and re-render
things.

So thinking about computer replacement...the way to speed these days seems
to be threading and multiple CPUs and also offloading certain things to
GPUs.  So what is the best way to go for a new machine...just get the
fastest possible clock rate for the CPU (am maybe forgoing newer cpu in
favor or older higher clock rate?..seem I can just ignore core
count....since it seems scad is single threaded...or is there a GPU that
might help?  Is there any advantages in the various CPU families ... Xeon
server class vs i7/i9 CPUs?  How to I select a machine optimized for Scad,
which is now the only application I find holding me up when working....
Is there any option or future thought to multi-thread SCAD?