[OpenSCAD] aligning/flooring all objects

nop head nop.head at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 03:08:50 EDT 2019

Yes make the origin the most useful point but if there are other points of
interest, for example screw holes, than I make a module that moves its
children there and use it to make the holes both in the object, and what it
mounts to and place the screws. So I never need to calculate positions. It
is simply a combination of modules. E.g.

motor_position() {
   motor();
   motor_screw_positions()
     screw(motor_screw(), 10);
}

Similarly I have functions to get the important dimensions of each object,
so I know its bounding box allowing me to place it in an assembly and
design other things round it.

The rule is never specify anything twice. Always factor it into a function,
module, or variable and define it once and re-use it.