[OpenSCAD] aligning/flooring all objects

Troberg troberg.anders at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 02:44:47 EDT 2019

lostapathy wrote
> The "trick", really, is to design all your parts around a convenient
> origin and then translate them to the assembled position.  It seems most
> people's intuition is to model the part in the assembled position and
> then try to move it back to a convenient origin for printing (or
> whatever else).

This also has the added benefit of being more modular. It's easier to reuse
components if they have a sensible origin. Say, for example, that I model a
bolt. I then put it at the origin, wigh the XY plane just below the head,
oriented along the Z. This makes a lot more sense when I want to use that
bolt in some other design.