[OpenSCAD] General approach

arnholm at arnholm.org arnholm at arnholm.org
Sun Jul 7 12:30:32 EDT 2019

On 2019-07-07 18:15, nop head wrote:
> I avoid floating point problems by never relying on values being exact
> unless they are integers and by avoiding very close vertices that
> might get merged.

Which is the same as assuming floating point coordinates everywhere. It
seems the use of 'rational numbers' in CGAL adds no real benefits in
precision, but instead adds cost in the form of lost performance and
increased memory consumption. Add the unpredictable grid stuff in
OpenSCAD and it is questionable if anything is gained compared to
computing with floating point numbers everywhere.

Carsten Arnholm