[OpenSCAD] General approach

Rogier Wolff R.E.Wolff at BitWizard.nl
Sun Jul 7 11:57:59 EDT 2019

On Sun, Jul 07, 2019 at 04:05:30PM +0100, nop head wrote:
> Coordinates are pairs or triples of numbers so "One of the coordinates
> becomes irrational if you rotate by +/-30+-n*90 degrees. " doesn't make
> sense. One of the ordinates will be rational but the other not, so the
> coordinate can't be represented exactly by rationals.

Elaborating on my joke-corner-case of rotating by 30 degrees, the
point [2,0] becomes [sqrt(3), 1] Add an extra zero to do this if you
want this to happen in 3D. I maintain that one of the two-or-three
coordinates becomes irrational. Yes that makes the whole POINT
unrepresentable by rationals.

All this is irrelevant: Many rotations, including those by 30 degrees
will yield points not-precisely-representable by rationals.

> All integer degree angles are irrational because they are converted to
> radians. The exceptions are just multiples of 90 because they are special
> cases in the OpenSCAD trig functions.

Right. Good.

> Yes rotating by atan of a rational would give a rational rotation in
> theory, but it is done in floating point and converted from radians to
> degrees and back again, so it would be lucky to yield integers. Your
> example does seem to but rotating by atan(12/5) is slightly off.

rotating [0,13] by atan (12/5) should yield the point
[12,5]. Something with Pythagoras. For rationals on the X-axis, you
still get a rational destination point. But for any non-X-axis point
you still go off-rational-grid. I think. Where does 12,1 end up?
Rotate that vector back to the X axis and the point on the X-axis is
irrational (0, sqrt (145)), so when you rotate that by the atan (12/5)
you get something like [5/13*sqrt(145), 12/13*sqrt(145)] which remains
irrational.

Still, all this is of no practical use: Most cases people will design
things with irrational coordinates, so we have to do something about:

> I think OpenSCAD snaps to a grid to avoid CGALs infinite precision
> precision rationals exploding. The problem is if you limit the precision in
> any way you risk near vertices becoming coincident and that requires the
> mesh to be repaired before being fed back to CGAL. I had a go at removing
> degenerate triangles but in some cases truncation and snapping can create
> self intersections and that is harder to fix.

When my suggestion of a user-configurable scaled-integer-grid is
implemented, the user has a crude way of controlling things. And it
offers extra functionality. If you know ALL your coordinates are a
multiple of 1 micron, you can set the scale of 1mm to 1000. If you are
designing a model of the death star, then setting it to 1 may be more
appropriate. The current "hidden" grid is not appropriate if you are
say designing say a model of a few atoms. Like when IBM used their new
SFM to move a few atoms into spelling IBM in a 5-atom high font.

It may not be too long from now when someone in a lab somewhere uses
openscad to design a 3D structure that might be manipulated into
existence with such tools. With the current hidden grid, that's going
to lead to surprises. Make it user-visible and when things go wrong,
that guy didn't read the manual. Case closed. Design software for
the future.

I suspect that the ATA and SD card spec guys consider their strategy
"job security". Each time we really hit the limits of the previous
standard they tack on a bunch of bits with a "well within my lifetime"
expiration date. Moore's law is pretty predictable. 5 extra address
bits expire in 10 years.

Setting the default scale to 1 million would mean the grid is 1 nm:
about ten atoms. A slight nudge is needed to design atom-scale objects
and that's acceptable.

This "there is a grid deep down below somewhere..." leads to
unpredictable behaviour. And that's not good.

	Roger.