[OpenSCAD] General approach

Dan Shriver tabbydan at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 18:50:25 EDT 2019

So I'm wondering if my general approach to a problem is bad.
To simplify I'm trying to make an arched structure where the arches change
form.
The first shape I'm trying to make is to have the archway itself form an
ogee arch (you can roughly think of it as wishbone shaped thing).

So what I did was to do this:

difference() {
  hollowHalf()
  mirror([1,0,0]) {
    solidHalf()
  }
mirror([1,0,0]) {
  hollowHalf()
}

Either that approach is invalid, or there is some other problem going on.

[image: image.png]

The thing that puzzles me is I'd think it would work from a geometric point
of view (I know the interior walls would be wrong but the exterior I would
think should be fine)

If in OpenScad I just render the hollowHalf() and then click
[image: image.png]
It looks like the last archway is centered versus the y and z axies to me
(+z is coming straight at the viewer, +y is going up, +x is to the right).

That suggests to me that after they were joined they should overlap with no
gap

[image: image.png]

alternately I was thinking two differences might give both a correct
interior and exterior view

difference() {
   hollowHalf();
    mirror([1,0,0]) {