[OpenSCAD] Getting more information

adrianv avm4 at cornell.edu
Thu Jul 4 19:51:53 EDT 2019

MichaelAtOz wrote
>> ERROR: CGAL error
>
> Any CGAL error is almost guaranteed to be either bad polygon/polyhedron,
> or
> import() of a bad .stl file.
>
> In Thrown-together any purple is bad.
>
> It is difficult to debug without seeing your code.

I think he posted the code before and it was several hundred lines and
pretty chaotic.  That's why I'm pushing for simplifications instead.

For curiosity I was able to get pink "edges" by leaving a small gap.   One
of the octahedra has gaps along four of its edges (not all) and this shows
up as pink "edges" in the thrown together view.

vertices = [[0,0,-1],   //0
            [0,0,1],    // 1
            [1,0,0],    // 2
            [0,1,0],    // 3
            [-1,0,0],// 4
            [0,-1,0], //5
            [1,0,.01],    // 6
            [0,1,.01],    // 7
            [-1,0,.01],//8
            [0,-1,.01]]; //9

goodfaces = [[2,5,1], [5,2,0],
         [3,2,1], [2,3,0],
         [4,3,1], [3,4,0],
         [5,4,1], [4,5,0]];

badfaces = [[6,9,1], [5,2,0],
         [7,6,1], [2,3,0],
         [8,7,1], [3,4,0],
         [9,8,1], [4,5,0]];

polyhedron(vertices,faces=goodfaces);
translate([4,0,0]) polyhedron(vertices,faces=badfaces);