[OpenSCAD] Getting more information

adrianv avm4 at cornell.edu
Thu Jul 4 11:02:44 EDT 2019

DanS wrote
> I'm still trying to debug my own code but am frustrated in that I can't
> see
> where the problem exists.  I get some errors and other messages from
> OpenScad but unfortunately they don't point to what it was in my code that
> triggered it:
>
> ERROR: CGAL error in CGAL_Nef_polyhedron3(): CGAL ERROR: assertion
> violation! Expr: e_below != SHalfedge_handle() File:
> /opt/mxe/usr/x86_64-w64-mingw32.static.posix/include/CGAL/Nef_3/SNC_FM_decorator.h
> Line: 426

I don't recognize this error specifically, but typically if you get errors
relating to polyhedra it means you have constructed an invalid polyhedron
with the polyhedron module.  You can select View->Thrown Together in preview
which will show reversed faces.  But otherwise you just have to work through
your construction.

> Likewise, I sometimes get this warning:
>

> DEPRECATED: Using ranges of the form [begin:end] with begin value greater
> than the end value is deprecated.

Yeah, this one is extremely annoying.  There appears to be no way to get
OpenSCAD to give you more information about this.  It can be anywhere in
your code, or anything that you include.  It could be a degenerate case, in
which case you can solve the problem by replacing every occurrence of [a:b]
in your code with [a:1:b].  But if it's a mistake in your code, that will
just cause the loop to not run---it won't tell you where the problem is.