[OpenSCAD] battery spring spiral

Rob Sherwood rob.sherwood at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 15:10:00 EDT 2018

I did something similar to this where I created a formula to place a
sequence of n circles along a path, and then did a hull() around each
adjacent pair of circles.  The function I was following was an
involute curve but you should be able to reuse this technique for an
arbitrary path, e.g., your spring.

Here's the relevant code:

                    for (i = [1: step: max_angle] ) {
                        point = involute( width, i);        // replace
this function with your own path function
                        prev_point = involute( width, i - step);   // ditto...
                        hull() {
                            translate([ point[0], point[1], 0])
                                circle(d=circle_diam, center=true);
                            translate([ prev_point[0], prev_point[1], 0])
                                circle(d=circle_diam, center=true);
                        }
                    }

Hope this helps,