[OpenSCAD] Ovals

Rogier Wolff R.E.Wolff at BitWizard.nl
Thu Sep 6 08:58:08 EDT 2018

On Thu, Sep 06, 2018 at 11:22:37AM +0100, nop head wrote:
> Yes but brim adds just more outlines that can be removed easily. If you add
> it to the model it will be fully incorporated, how do you remove it from
> the print?

IF it is easy to remove, because adjoining lines do not adhere
perfectly to eachother, the brim doesn't serve the purpose we have for
it to help adhering the object to the platform. So IMHO, IF the brim
works, it is also plastic-wise "incorporated into the object" as you
say.

In practise, that is one of the problems: On the first layer the
adhesion between adjacent lines is not perfect. Then the print fails.

"tri" is the object I want,
print_tri () is how I print it.

The half cones snap off by hand. The "cube" to stabilize the whole
thing while printing can be snipped of with side-cutting pliers.

Printing this-side-up worked better for me. I don't remember if it was
surface finish or something else that prompted me to print it this
way.

	Roger.

$fs = 0.2;

module hcone (d, h)
{
  difference () {
     cylinder (d1=d, d2=0, h= h);
     translate ([0,-d/2-1,-1]) cube ([d/2+1, d+2,h+2]);
  }
}

module tri (l=100)
{
  hull ()
  for (i=[0:120:240])
    rotate (i) translate ([10,0,0]) cylinder (d=3, h=l);
}

module print_tri ()
{
  cy = 16;
  cz = 12;
  cx = 0.8;
  len = 80;
  translate ([0,0,11.5]) rotate ([0,90,0]) tri (l=len);

  translate ([0,-cy/2,0]) cube ( [cx, cy,cz]);
  hcone (20,1);

  translate ([len,cy/2,0]) rotate (180) cube ( [cx,cy,cz]);
  translate ([len,0,0]) rotate (180) hcone (20,1);
}

print_tri ();