[OpenSCAD] Ovals

nop head nop.head at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 11:47:07 EDT 2018

>But a render, which you would think uses the same process fails.

No preview is a totally different process to render. Preview just draws all
the triangles in the correct order to show a pixel representation of the
object. render calculates the geometry if there are any CSG ops (including
the implict union) and then draws that. It uses the GCAL library and that
expects it to be 2-manifold, without degenerate triangles.

The grid is defined here:
https://github.com/openscad/openscad/blob/c6a485651fa29f1a878ea454558192492f7467ec/src/grid.h#L14

I have never had much success with other people's STLs for 3D printing.
Even if they are manifold they are often not correct for 3D printing on my
machines. I mostly design everything I print from scratch in OpenSCAD.