[OpenSCAD] Ovals

FourthDr who_doctor at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 5 11:13:34 EDT 2018

What I don't understand is how it can preview a broken stl with no problem.
But a render, which you would think uses the same process fails.

There needs to be some kind of built-in utility that can tell you just where
in the mesh it is having a problems. It's impossible to figure out a
problem, if the cause it shrouded inside of a black box. There is basically
no visualization of problem areas. Or helpful error messages.

The only way I was able to see one of the major flaws in the nose cone was
when I imported it into Tinkercad and tried to slice the cone off the base.
It was then that by chance after separating the cone from the base that I
saw a ton of artifact triangles still connected to the cone-less base. Then
I knew there where major issues with the model. But OpenSCAD said nothing
about it other than crashing when I tried to render.

So once I know there are problems. What's the easiest way to identify and
repair them without being an export. Every time I try to manually repair an
stl it breaks another part of the model in some way.