[OpenSCAD] Ovals

Ed Nisley ed.nisley at pobox.com
Wed Sep 5 10:46:01 EDT 2018

On 09/04/2018 09:02 PM, FourthDr wrote:
> They both look and preview fine.

Meshlab shows both have the usual assortment of mesh errors and are
non-manifold: hot death on a stick for further operations.

My (admittedly limited) experience with automatic mesh repair suggests
the algorithms generally make the choices I expect, but sometimes
produce weirdly shaped patches, if not completely bizarre shapes, around
the non-manifold geometry. The fact a "repaired" STL file still contains
geometry errors shows the automation doesn't always get it right.

Agreed, OpenSCAD shouldn't fall over dead when handed a broken STL file,
but AFAICT the explosion happens deep in the CGAL machinery where it's
out of anyone's control. The only defense seems to be not handing it
non-manifold models.

Which rules out many attractive STLs scattered around the Interwebs ...

--
Ed
https://softsolder.com