[OpenSCAD] too many hexagons crashes openscad (how many is too many?)

Carsten Arnholm arnholm at arnholm.org
Mon Oct 29 15:52:03 EDT 2018

On 28.10.2018 16:10, wb wrote:
> I am a complete beginner trying to build a somewhat unusual object.
> I would like to 3D print in metal a thin sheet with 100,000 hexagons on top
> of it.

Out of curiosity, what is this used for? With a metal printer involved
it must be something important, but what?

> However, once I go past 20,000 object openscad crashes every time.

I doubt it is possible to create such a huge object with OpenSCAD, it is
simply too big. I played around with my AngelCAD software and could
create it in full size (600x400) with slanted hexagons in about 35
minutes elapsed time on  my Kubuntu 18.04 box with 4 CPUs. It took 60599
booleans to do it...

 From the link below you can get the .stl (224 MB uncompressed, viewable
in MeshLab) and also a generated OpenSCAD .csg defining a single
polyhedron of the same. However, I think trying to open the .csg with
OpenSCAD will bring any machine to its knees ....

http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=g7c904f0dcbc03e911000125129f68a355dd0fa9603

adv_hexagon2.7z (13.758 MB)
the download expires in 21 days

Carsten Arnholm