[OpenSCAD] PolySet has nonplanar faces --> ERROR: CGAL

Ronaldo Persiano rcmpersiano at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 08:43:23 EDT 2018

Em sáb, 27 de out de 2018 às 15:31, DarioPellegrini <
pellegrini.dario at gmail.com> escreveu:

> I see. The problem is that I encountered this error when playing with
> things
> like this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3179773
> ...so I may need some more advanced way to circumvent this limitation.

A radical measure to avoid polyhedron self-intersections with sweep is to
build one polyhedron for each pair of subsequent path points. That strategy
has however a severe drawback: a very lengthy render time. You may find a
code implementing that strategy in:

http://forum.openscad.org/Mirror-rotations-and-sweep-td21256.html

which requires the section to be convex. It is good enough for paths with a
few hundred points.

A more efficient, less radical solution is waiting to be to be written. We
may segment the path in shorter ones without self intersections and apply
the sweep you used to each segment.