[OpenSCAD] Align objects to ovoidal surface

Troberg troberg.anders at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 02:51:31 EDT 2018

There is no built-in functions for it, but with som math, it's doable.

There are several ways to go.

I think the easiest is to simply start with a sphere, make some rings and
use them to cut grooves using difference(). A little bit of math is needed
to get the diameter of the horizontal groves right, but not much, just basic
trig.

Then, use scale to turn it all into an ovoid. Be aware that this will
slightly affect the depth of the grooves as well, but, I assume you aren't
making a real grenade, just a prop, so "squint scale" is probably close
enough.

Just don't blow anyone up!