[OpenSCAD] compiling openscad from source

Torsten Paul Torsten.Paul at gmx.de
Mon Oct 8 05:21:25 EDT 2018

On 10/08/2018 03:05 AM, seandepagnier wrote:
> I need to compile openscad, because the version I have from apt is 2014.  I
> also cannot find any binaries for my platform (armv7) and I will be moving
> to aarch64 soon which is even less likely.

There are Debian/aarch64 builds on the official OBS repo, but I have
no idea if they work though, as I have no means to test.

   https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:t-paul/OpenSCAD

> I have tried with both qt5 and qt4 without success.  With qt5 the build
> error:

[...]
> /usr/include/GL/glew.h:283:16: note: previous declaration as ‘typedef double
> GLdouble’
>   typedef double GLdouble;
>                  ^
That is the normal error on systems that do not support Desktop
OpenGL but only GLES. It might be possible to compile Qt in a way
that it works with OpenSCAD, but as long as GLES is enabled, this
will conflict with other code in OpenSCAD.

> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lQtMultimedia
> Makefile:527: recipe for target 'openscad' failed
> make: *** [openscad] Error 1
>
> There is no qtmultimedia for qt4 available in apt.   Should I build qt4 from
> source as well?

In general, QtMultimedia should be available in Qt4 too. I don't
know what the reason for the build error is. Maybe Qt4 is indeed
built without the multimedia support or it's not included for some
other reason. I can't find any mention of a separate package for
Qt4 (except on old Ubuntu where it's in qt-mobility or so?).

Another possibility is that it still drags in some settings from
Qt5 builds, so the simplest test would be to ensure a really clean
build against Qt4.

ciao,
   Torsten.