[OpenSCAD] Need help with inputdriver5 for SpaceMouse

Torsten Paul Torsten.Paul at gmx.de
Wed Jan 31 17:29:50 EST 2018

On 01/31/2018 10:52 PM, sibjo wrote:
> I just got a SpaceMouse Pro since I'm spending quite some time
> designing in OpenSCAD.

On Linux there's basically 3 options that should be possible.

HIDAPI

- not recommended as this needs root (or probably quite some
   fiddeling with access rights)

SPACENAVD

- using the separate spacenavd daemon
- needs development package installed, on Debian that is called
   libspnav-dev

JSDEV

- using normal Linux joystick interface
- only possible if spacenavd is not running
- if the mouse is picked up by the joystick driver, it should
   show up in the "dmesg" kernel log output

> What am I doing wrong? How do I get SpaceNav (or HIDAPI) to work?

For spacenavd (example for Debian/Ubuntu):

- apt install libspnavd-dev
- re-run qmake, this should pick up the client library

The joystick driver should be always available on Linux (we
currently lazily assume the dev stuff is always there)

Note that in the latest version, both the input driver needs
to be enabled in the Preferences and then also check the
drivers are enabled in the respective tab in Preferences.

To just give it a try, you could alternatively also check
the AppImage:
https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/t-paul/AppImage/OpenSCAD-Branch-InputDriver-latest-x86_64.AppImage

Just download, make executable and run, it contains all the
needed files in a single package.

ciao,
   Torsten.