[OpenSCAD] Programming in Functional OpenSCAD

NateTG nate-openscadforum at pedantic.org
Fri Jan 26 10:35:10 EST 2018

Thanks for looking at it.  Reading other people's code isn't always the
easiest thing in the world.  I'm still finding my feet in this purely
functional approach, so it's not surprising that it's ugly.  (TBH, I'm a
little surprised at how easily I got it working.)

> I have already pointed out that it is hard to write non-trivial data
> structures in OpenSCAD. I see two main reasons for that: the only
> intrinsic data structure in OpenSCAD is list (officially called vector)
> with very basic operators and any change in a data structure implies in
> rewriting all the structure because of the lack of variables and
> assignments in OpenSCAD.

A specific question is whether my sense that adding or removing any data
from a structure is always going to involve reconstructing the insert or
remove path, and it seems like the answer to that is yes.

Do you know if OpenSCAD has garbage collection or some other memory
management scheme?