[OpenSCAD] F5 works, but F6 gives: ERROR: CGAL error in CGAL_Nef_polyhedron3():

Carsten Arnholm arnholm at arnholm.org
Thu Jan 18 13:47:21 EST 2018

On 18. jan. 2018 15:23, Parkinbot wrote:
> Polyhedron and polygon is like Peek and Poke of BASIC. While it opens the
> door to hell, it does all the rest, what you can't do with the ordinary
> language.

My point was simply that the door to hell does not have to be wide open
for everyone all the time. You can open it when you want to.

> History has shown that any accepted language needs such backdoors
> and I don't see anything wrong in having some features for power users of
> OpenSCAD, as they give most of the qualified feedback and do most of the
> testing and "marketing" by producing impressive designs.

I think you scanned my post too fast, because I never said there is
anything wrong with power features, on the contrary I said power
features are legitimate. My message is to support the needs of both
novices as well as power users, and my post suggested ways of doing it.

> To be honest,
> without polyhedron I would have dropped the language after three weeks of
> use, latest. In my eyes it is the real expressive power of OpenSCAD. Why
> castrate it - and break a lot of code out there? Because a novice user can
> stumble over it?

To my knowledge, nobody suggests dropping polyhedron.

Carsten Arnholmdy