[OpenSCAD] F5 works, but F6 gives: ERROR: CGAL error in CGAL_Nef_polyhedron3():

jon jon at jonbondy.com
Thu Jan 18 12:51:24 EST 2018

Is there a middle ground here where error messages are displayed when an
invalid STL file is created, so that you can avoid feeding that STL to
your slicer while the other OpenSCAD features remain intact?  Perhaps I
am missing a subtlety here

Jon

On 1/18/2018 12:20 PM, Jordan Brown wrote:
> On 1/18/2018 1:29 AM, Parkinbot wrote:
>> Indeed I even don't see much sense in restricting STL output to
>> "proper" manifolds. Is it part of the format specification?
>
> I have no idea whether there's  anything in the format spec, but it's
> quite frustrating to generate something with OpenSCAD, feed it to my
> slicer, and have my slicer misbehave because it doesn't follow the rules.
>
> (As best I can tell, usually this happens when there are extremely
> small features that start running into the OpenSCAD resolution limits
> - like when I took my 25.4:1 scale model of my house and then scaled
> it down by a further 25.4:1.)
>
> (Intuitively, I would say that a string of points that aren't coplanar
> cannot be a face of a polyhedron.  They might be something else, and I
> don't have a problem with having a way to create and manipulate them
> under a different name.)

Sent from my desktop computer.
I do not receive emails while away from my desk,
nor do I receive texts on my main phone number
(which is a land line).
If you know that I am on the road, please text me.
If you know that I am home, please email me.