[OpenSCAD] Introductory School Projects

Rob Ward rl.ward at bigpond.com
Fri Jan 12 18:55:28 EST 2018

Apologies! This is somewhat off your topic Michael,

But sometime ago I offered to upload 5 booklets I had prepared for
introducing junior high school students (11-14years?) to OpenSCAD that
teachers could use in their classes.  However I have lost contact with
the person who encouraged me to do it at the time.  They involve an
introductory task, two more complicated ones, and two more as challenge
pieces.

Do you think such items are a good idea?  I was thinking of having the
booklets in .pdf format on the site with a couple of links in the
appropriate section for teachers to find them and use them. OpenSCAD is
fantastic tool to both reinforce mathematics and science in the virtual
world, and as well through 3-D printing in the real world as well.
Publishing them in OpenOffice would be fine as well for people to more
easily adapt the booklets to their own needs.

If you are not personally available, does/can anybody else see value in
this idea?  I am continually amazed at the heady concepts canvassed on
these pages and it is one of my favourite feeds (even though I
contribute almost nothing), and while these simple projects are
definitely at the opposite end to those discussions, I am hoping
bundling them into a handy teaching format may give some teachers out
there inspiration to start the ball rolling on a teaching resource page?

Cheers, Rob