[OpenSCAD] Mayan calendar

Ronaldo Persiano rcmpersiano at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 17:12:17 EST 2018

My knowledge of mechanisms is very basic. But, yes, the purpose of Geneva
drive is to produce an intermittent motion from a continuous rotating
motion drive. It is an indexing system that may have its place in your
project.

I tried to design my idea but failed: I don't think Geneva drive would do
the trick. In fact, I think now a better solution for your quest would be
to consider a variable sectional gear mechanism like the one is found
in Gearwheels
from Hell <http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/POWER/gear/gear.htm>. Those
mechanisms allow to have two or more gear transmission ratio during the
rotation. But don't ask how, at least not now. :)

However, I guess the best solution to assign month names to the 365 day
Mayan calendar is found in the Youtube video Mark Peeters referenced here
days ago. In the video, there are three geared wheels: one with 13 numbers,
one with 20 day glyph names and, the year wheel, with 365 days. The year
wheel have 365 combinations of a month day number and a month glyph. There
are 19 month glyphs, one of them appearing just 5 times on the wheel and
the others appearing 20 times. So the months are not in a separate wheel
but in the 365 day year wheel. If you stop the video at 1:38 you will see
the 5 day month in detail.

Each specific combination of one number (first weel), a day glyph (second
weel) and a pair [day number, month glyph] are aligned just once in 18980
days. This is the Calendar Round of 52 years.